Monday, November 12, 2012

I start again every day

Hi there! I'm Kristen, a twenty-something recent(ish) college grad who loves God, baking, my dog, my boyfriend-monster (I mean that most affectionately), hereafter to be referred to as Bonster (it was Arrested Development), my bestie, and not a whole lot else. Many months ago, I suffered some family/personal trauma too varied and painful to detail here, but suffice to say it was a valuable learning experience and has compelled me to make some severe and forward-moving life changes. Useful backstory: I am lazy. Beyond lazy. Every day I resolve to get out of bed and go exercise, and every day I laugh myself back asleep. I avoid cleaning (a thing I purport to love; HAH) like the plague, I use sloppy cliches, I wait until the last minute to do everything, and at the end of most days, I hate myself for it. I realize that, in this day and age, being lazy has been molded, manipulated, and perverted until it became something almost resembling a positive attribute (e.g. That free-spirited, curvy manic pixie dream girl is so cute and lazy; it's just part of the magic that is her! Swoon!) and I hate that. Almost as much as manic pixie dream girls (look it up). I do not like having succumbed to this state, and being that I am presently embroiled deep within the vacuous chasm of post-graduate unemployment, not counting a twice-a-week coffee shop gig, I am left with two options: continue down this lowly path of shiftless self-indulgence and lethargy as I watch the days fall away and the pounds pile on, OR move my ass in some, one, any direction and start living, removing myself from the state of pseudo-adulthood in which I am currently mired.

So, how do I do this? After a lot of introspection, I have determined that it will take small steps, gradually adding up over the course of many, many moons. I am pleased to report that I have a rock-solid support system (family, Bonster, bestie). I will expand upon my current interests and absorb other interests/activities that emanate therefrom. Example: I love baking, and I love the IDEA of baking from scratch, perfecting pie dough and the lattice-top, and having that perfect, flour-dusted nose experience, but I've never really DONE it. I've used shortcut recipes that yielded tasty results, but haven't really worked towards making it an actual talent that I could employ in real life (you know, the kind that leads to monetary compensation and a sense of accomplishment). So that's a start. Another is exercise, another is finding a job. One thing I should note is that I've never been, and probably never will be, very career-oriented. I view employment as a means to support the passions and priorities I hold nearest and dearest: travel, family, children, more baking. In a way, this makes my job search easier because the world is my oyster. I can do anything. On the flip side, it's terrifying, because where the heck do I start? That's a big one. I guess my biggest point to you is that this blog will be quite varied in content and humor, so please bear with me and stick around.

What will you get in exchange? Well, what WON'T you get?! You have the promise of an at least weekly dose of self-deprecating humor, SCADS of recipes, and the knowledge that you are helping a confused girl along her life's journey. It's important as all get-out, and I need your support. So thank you thank you thank you, readers, for reading this far, and I hope to maintain your interest with my jumbled life's best attempt at order. I'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment